Book Ticket and get confirm seat – Indian Railways with the help of IRCTC is launching the Vikalp scheme which offers facilities to passengers of vikalp reservation if booked under the scheme. Passenger of Indian Railways will be given an option for getting alternate accommodation in another train if they do not get confirmed berths in the trains of their choice.
IRCTC Vikalp Scheme is currently available for five major routes connecting Howrah, Mumbai, Chennai, Bangalore and Secunderabad from New Delhi. Under the scheme, in case of non confirmation of wait-listed ticket passengers can give choice to opt for Vikalp facility to get confirmed berths in alternate trains.
This is also to remember that once a vikalp passenger has been allotted alternate accommodation, journey modification will not be permitted. There will not be any extra charges for this services or any refund is provided for difference of fare.
The Vikalp facility is being extended to Delhi-Howrah, Delhi-Mumbai, Delhi-Chennai, Delhi-Bangalore and Delhi-Secunderabad routes. Currently the Vikalp is already implemented in Delhi-Jammu and Delhi-Lucknow sectors.
How to Opt for Vikalp Scheme ?
Vikalp scheme can be opted while booking any normal ticket under online through irctc.co.in. During ticket booking option will be appeared after “consider for auto upgradation”. In order to get the benefit, one need to check the box “Opted for Vikalp”.
Important Point While Opting Vikalp Scheme
- This is to remember that this scheme is subject to train and berth availability. Opting for VIKALP does not mean that confirmed berth will be provided to passengers in alternate train.
- Once confirmed in Alternate train, Cancellation charges will be as per berth/train status in alternate train.
- Under this scheme boarding and terminating station might change to nearby cluster stations.
- Passengers will be allotted seats in any alternate train available within 12 Hrs from the scheduled departure of original train.
- Please check PNR status after charting.
This is to remember that Vikalp scheme is implemented only on Mail/Express & Superfast trains and not applicable in Rajdhani, Shatabdi and Duronto trains.