Ministry of Road & Transport has issued an official notification to all the states and Union Territories in India to accept driving license (DL), registration certificate (RC) and other vehicle documents in electronic form presented through the DigiLocker or mParivahan application. Notification is informing that digital driving license and vehicle’s RC papers stored in DigiLochers are now legally recognised at par with the original documents as per the IT Act 2000 and is valid under the Motor Vehicles Act 1988. Effective immediately, the notification by the ministry is addressed to all the India State’s Principal Secretaries, All Secretaries of Department of Transport, DGPs/ ADGPs(Traffic) and all State/UT Transport Commissioners.
Now, an Indian citizen need not to carry their original driving license or RC papers with them. They may upload their DL or RC or any other papers i.e. Insurance, Pollution etc. on the Government’s DigiLocker. The documents validated by Digilocker or mParivahan will be accepted.
How To Store/Upload Vehicle Documents On DigiLocker ?
- Go to DigiLocker url https://digilocker.gov.in/ or Install Android app here
- You may signup either using your Aadhaar or through Mobile Number
- Post validation of Aadhaar or Mobile Number, you have to choose the user Id and password
- You may also login using your Aadhaar, an OTP will be your password
- If you choose to login through Aadhaar, you will get two services automatically uploaded in your Digilocker i.e. Aadhaar Card and LPG subsidy (if available)
- For other documents, you may choose upload option
- Upload your DL, RC , PAN or any other related documents
- Your data is stored securely. This may be used anytime as per the requirements.